Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Favorite pictures of Shanghai

Here are a few of my favorite pictures of Shanghai. I tried to post ones that captured the spirit of the city, along with its rapid development, and their startling effects (e.g. that ain't fog you're seeing). All over the city you see remnants of the its not-too-distant past, or what I like to call "out with the old, in with the expensive." My friend told me that in the past (like her family) people were moved to outer areas, in 50-year lease, government-owned apartments. Now, unofficially I am told that, people are given money to move. They can refuse maybe once, maybe twice. After that g-men *may* come in the middle of the night bearing an offer you simply can't refuse. If you're interested, more pictures can be found here.














0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home