Friday, June 29, 2007

Notes from visit to Social Work Research Institute

Just some quick notes before I forget.

Today I visited with the Social Work Research Institute to talk to some of their graduate interns about the projects they work on. Last week I visited their offices to discuss anyway that I could help their organization. They gave me some translations to edit.

Anyway, I visited them as a follow up and to ask (after gaining their trust with the work I did) to allow me some site visits. Not that I am particularly interested in what they study (that to follow), but I am at the point where absolutely any experience that I can have here will be of benefit.

Their programs include (not sure if this is all of them):

1. Migrant worker education
2. Drug rehab
3. Street children informal education
4. Community care center

What initially surprised me was the progressive nature of these programs. The language and concepts that they use was quite familiar to me. Like all things, this program did have some objectionable elements, namely that its funded in part by some Christian missionary organizations. Yes, I know that the faith-based donor community is quite large and important, but the idea of religion being anywhere near progressive social outreach still makes me feel icky.

Our conversation today centered on the student's particular interests in relation to the organization's work. Instead of going through each problem, I'll just reflect on my overall impression of their work and why its necessary. That being said, I understand that my core interests (socio-economic development/security studies) frame the way in which I process the information they are relying.

Bottom line:
Migrant workers are leaving rural areas to seek work in urban areas. Up until a few years go the government more closely controlled their movement and restricted their access to urban areas. Yes, people still moved to the cities, but they were rounded up and sent back to the countryside. This situation reminds me a lot of the USA. We bitch and moan about illegals, but we know we need them. They do crappy jobs for low pay, suffering massive workplace abuses, and we tolerate it because we need them.

Additionally, the central government has a major incentive to continue to rely on these marginalized people. Anyone who knows anything about the founding of the PRC knows that officials like big numbers. For the last decade, China has officially reported % of change GDP in the near or higher than 10% per year range. The deep dark underbelly of migrant labor is necessary to continue this trend.

Secondly, education is lacking. Despite universal free primary education (except book fees), and the availability of scholarships after primary education, many of the children of migrant workers still fall through the cracks. Some parents push their children to beg on the street/collect cans/anything they can sell. Other children can't attend school because they lack the proper permits, while the schools lack the space/teachers/funding.

China's a great place with lots of resources. Yet problems continue to persist. China's policy of capital improvements ("built a road and industry will come") is a good start. Free primary education is also a wonderful addition. Yet many of the problems China faces can be directly related to its massive population and lack of development in many areas.

I am still extremely interested in the ideas of rural/urban migration and wage determination. I resisted for a while, but now understand that its nearly impossible for me to study these things now. First I need better contacts who are willing to get me the required permits. I am hoping that I can make at least a few of these contacts while I am here. The people at the the Social Work Research Institute are certainly a good place to start.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home