Friday, June 15, 2007

Update #2

Just a quick, informal update.

Thus far I haven't been given anymore leads.

As an alternative, and much to my dismay, I've started researching the least desirable of Yunnan's three major industries: tobacco. I would much rather concentrate on steel, but its less likely that I would be able to visit any steel mills. A shame!

I think the tobacco industry of Yunnan may make a very interesting case study for my thesis. Without much research, and from the casual conversations I have had so far, it seems as if the industry may touch on a few things, namely 1) land rights (farmers rent land from the state), and 2) agricultural subsides and price controls (all tobacco is sold to the state at a set rate).

In short, the prospects of me actually working with a NGOs or other seem very low at this point. Of course I am still very open-minded to any opportunities that may come my way.

The lectures are language classes are going OK. I met with the American economist today. Very nice guy. Gave us some helpful tips about navigating the system here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home