Tuesday, May 29, 2007

This quote says a lot about the current state of China.

After the massacre of 1989, [Chinese leader Deng Xiaoping] in effect said, 'We will not stop economic reform; [but] we will, in effect, halt political reform.'"

Thus far I have concentrated most of my energies on looking at China some economic and social stats, even by looking at the official stats one starts to understand a lot.

I am going to try to watch this very relevant episode of Frontline before I leave tomorrow.

I have also been trying to rectify the relationship between MNCs, FDI, and policy for quite some time. The attempt by the Chinese government to erase tank man out of Chinese cultural history (thanks to google) is quite interesting.

Strictly by the official numbers you can clearly see that there are two, or even more, Chinas. Curious to see if the reality is grimmer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home